These Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs are THE perfect plant-based alternative to regular hot dogs! Healthy, LOW-FAT, easy, delicious, and great for a cookout.
Summer is a time for family reunions and cookouts. Yes, that means the weird uncle serving up nasty burnt cow patties and limp hot dogs; always saying things like, “How’s my meat?” or “Put another dog on the barbie!”; and ends every sentence with that creepy obnoxious laugh.
Sorry, I can’t help with the family dynamics. But, you can make my VEGAN CARROT HOT DOGS and avoid the aforementioned food disaster that awaits.
Hot dogs are a staple at any cookout. But, they’re also one of the most unhealthy things you could eat. So, when I heard about this healthier vegan alternative called carrot dogs my reaction was probably like yours – “WHAT THE …?!?
Fast forward several years later and I must say I am hooked! These plant-based tube steaks are better than the vast majority of fake frankfurters on the market. And, they’re HEALTHY! Read for yourself.
How Do You Make Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs?
The secret to really good carrot dogs is the marinade. It’s super easy! You simply add all your spices and liquids to a bowl and whisk together. There are a few “specialty” spices like ginger, smoked paprika, and rice vinegar. But, everything should be available at your local grocery or even Wal-Mart.
Carrot Hot Dogs
First, cut your carrots to bun length and then peel. I like making them look like hot dogs:) But, it’s definitely not necessary. Once you’re done cutting and peeling the carrots there are two ways to cook them in an Instant Pot or boil them on the stove.
The Instant Pot is my preferred method. You can cook the vegan carrot hot dogs in the marinade and it only takes 2 MINUTES! Then, once they’re done you just toss them on the grill.
Not quite ready to fire up the propane or charcoal? No problem. Just store the vegan carrot hot dogs with the marinade in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to grill.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot simply boil the carrots for 8-10 minutes or until they are just tender enough to pierce with a fork. But, YOU DON’T WANT MUSHY! Once they’re finished cooking, drain and run cold water over the carrots. This will stop them from cooking.
Pour the marinade into a Ziploc gallon freezer bag or airtight container and add the carrots. Make sure the marinade completely covers the carrots. Let the carrot hot dogs marinate in the fridge for at least a couple hours. But, it’s best if they sit overnight.
Once they’re ready take the vegan carrot dogs out of the fridge and grill. That’s it!
Look, you ain’t gonna fool nobody into thinking this is a hot dog. BECAUSE IT’S NOT A HOT DOG! But, they sure are tasty and will satisfy anyone’s hunger.
I’m convinced you will love these Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs. They are…
- Easy to make
- Perfect for a cookout
- A great plant-based alternative
Need Some Suggested Toppings?
Serve these bad boys on your favorite hot dog bun or roll with…
- Creamy Rich Cashew Mayo
- Sauer Kraut
- Diced Onions
- Easy Vegan Tofu Sour Cream
- Vegetarian Chili
- Gameday Cheese & Vegan Bacon Bits
- Sweet Relish
My 5-Minute Fat-Free Potato Chips make a great side. *Hint, hint
Looking More Plant-Based Cookout Recipe Ideas?
- Easy Barbecue Baked Beans
- Chickpea Salad
- Best Damn Vegan Barbecue Sandwich
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Smoky Bacon Flavored Hummus
If you make this recipe, be sure and let me know! Leave a comment, RATE IT, and tag a photo #shaneandsimple on Instagram.Print
These Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs are THE perfect plant-based alternative to regular hot dogs! Healthy, LOW-FAT, easy, whole, and great for the grill.
- 4–6 medium to large size carrots, peeled and cut to bun length
- Favorite hot dog buns or rolls
- 1 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water or low-sodium veggie broth
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar (use extra apple cider vinegar if don’t have this)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Make The Marinade
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.
To Cook In Instant Pot
- Preheat grill.
- Place carrots in your Instant Pot, pour the marinade over the carrots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the carrot dogs have finished cooking in the Instant Pot, use the quick release, remove them from the Instant Pot and throw them onto the grill. Cook the carrot dogs for 2-3 minutes per side or until you get those really cool grill marks. Use leftover marinade to baste carrot dogs as they cook.
- Remove your dogs and serve on your favorite hot dog bun or roll fixed any way you like.
- If you don’t plan on eating your carrot dogs right away remove them from the Instant Pot and store in the fridge with the marinade until you are ready.
If You Don’t Have An Instant Pot
- Boil carrots for 8-10 minutes or until just tender enough to pierce with a fork. YOU DON’T WANT THEM MUSHY! Then, drain and rinse them under cold water to stop them from cooking.
- Put the carrots in a gallon Ziploc bag or airtight container and pour the marinade over the carrots. Be sure they all get covered. Let them marinate in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, but overnight is best.
- Remove and follow grill procedure mentioned above.
Don’t Want To Grill?
Prep and cooking time info is for the Instant Pot.
Nutritional info does not include bread or toppings.
Save leftover marinade to make more carrot dogs!
- Category: Party Food
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
Keywords: vegan, cookout, barbecue, entry, healthy, carrot, hot dog