Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili that’s loaded with protein, fiber and healthy delicious veggies. A hearty vegan meal ready in 30-minutes.
- 1 onion (white, yellow, etc.), chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 cup low sodium veggie stock
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (I prefer Cento. Because they’re delicious and VERY low in sodium)
- 1 28-ounce can Cento San Marzano peeled tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans low-sodium or no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium or no salt added red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2-3 Tbsp. maple syrup (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire (make sure it’s vegetarian)
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Salt to taste, if needed
- Heat a soup pot or stockpot over medium-high heat. While the pot heats up, chop and separate all your veggies so you can just dump them in when you’re ready. Don’t wait and try to do it as you go. Too much stress.
- When pot is completely heated, add your onions and cook until they start to brown. Add chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and completely cover the onions. Let the spices and onions toast for about 10-20 seconds. Then, pour in 1/2 cup of the veggie broth and let cook until most of the veggie broth evaporates.
- Add 2 cups of veggie broth and sweet potatoes to the pot. Reduce heat to medium and let the sweet potatoes simmer for about 10 minutes. You want to give the sweet potatoes time to soften up a bit.
- Now add the tomatoes, beans, ketchup, maple syrup, soy sauce & Worcestershire. Mix everything well and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Crush the whole peeled tomatoes by hand before adding them to the pot.
- Sprinkle in the cocoa powder and stir until it dissolves.
- Finally, toss in the red and green bell peppers. Stir until everything is well combined. Salt to taste. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot with optional toppings.
Suggested Toppings (Optional)
Store your leftovers in the freezer so you have an easy “go to” meal throughout the week. Assuming you have leftovers.
Keywords: soup, stews, chili, veggie chili