This Vegan Bolognese sauce is amazing! A classic Italian favorite made using cauliflower, mushrooms, and walnuts. It’s meaty, rich, hearty, savory, and absolutely delicious! It’s also completely oil free and plant based.
For The Crumbles
- 1 medium head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 ounces of chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine (may sub low-sodium veggie broth if needed)
- 1 28-ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can of diced tomaotes
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 16-ounce box of whole grain spaghetti, linguine, or other favorite pasta
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place cauliflower, walnuts, mushrooms, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce in a food processor and pulse several times until it resembles ground beef. Be careful not to over mix because you don’t want it mushy. You want a “meaty” texture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the cauliflower mixture evenly onto the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes then remove from the oven and gently mix with a wooden spoon or spatula. Place back in the oven and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick pot over medium heat, add the onions and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Pour in the red wine, stir, and allow it to cook down for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, maple syrup, and Italian seasoning and let the sauce cook for 5-6 minutes. Reduce the heat and let the marinara sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering go ahead cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- When the marinara sauce is finished, add the cauliflower mixture, and stir until everything is well combined.
- Place the desired amount of pasta on a plate and cover with the vegan bolognese sauce. Top with my Vegan Parmesan.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan bolognese, pasta, vegan recipes, vegan bolognese sauce, plant-based recipe