Vegan Hash Brown Casserole is so easy to make, cheesy, and the perfect holiday side dish! You can make it with frozen hashbrowns and throw it together in just minutes. Absolute comfort food!
Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole used to be one of my favorite dishes. Those delicious shredded hash brown potatoes baked in a rich and creamy cheese sauce that was hot and bubbly. Oh, my! Those were the days.
Well, it’s a happy time again because this vegan breakfast casserole is the definition of comfort food. It’s cheesy, warm, and super hearty. And, it’s also healthy. It tastes so much like the real thing no one would ever suspect it’s entirely vegan. So, it’s guaranteed to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters, especially kids.
Ingredients You’ll Need For The Cheese Sauce
- Raw Cashews: Do not use roasted cashews with or without oil. They just don’t work!
- Silken Tofu: Mori-Nu Extra Firm Silken Tofu is my favorite.
- Nutritional Yeast: Rich in B-vitamins and is the cheesy flavor in this recipe.
- Lemon Juice: adds flavor and brightens everything. You may also sub apple cider vinegar if you don’t have lemon juice.
- Garlic Powder: A little seasoning for flavor.
Ingredients You’ll Need For The Hash Browns
- 30-ounce Bag Shredded Frozen Hash Browns: Make sure they are oil-free!
- Red & Green Bell Peppers: chopped
- Yellow Onion: chopped
Now, let’s make it! You won’t believe how good this is going to be.
How To Make Vegan Hash Brown Casserole
One of the best things about this recipe, besides the fact it’s delicious, is how easy it is to throw together. Don’t be surprised if there are no leftovers. Once you start eating it’s hard to stop. You’ve been warned.
- Make the cheese sauce.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Bake in a 9×13 baking dish.
That’s it! Yes, it’s that easy. This is THE perfect holiday morning breakfast casserole or any other gathering you would attend. It’s also a delicious side dish for Vegan Meatloaf and goes great when served with my Chipotle Chickpea Kale Salad!
Tips & Questions
- Can I Freeze It? Yes! You can freeze the hash brown casserole before baking it or after it has been baked and cooled. Cover it with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and you can freeze it for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy let it thaw in the refrigerator before baking or reheating.
- How Do I Store Leftovers? You can store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Can I Make Vegan Hash Brown Casserole Ahead Of Time? It is best when made fresh, but it can be made ahead of time. To make ahead, follow all the preparation instructions, but do not bake. Simply cover and refrigerate. When you’re ready to bake, uncover and bake as instructed.
- Cashew & Nut Replacements: You can use slivered almonds in place of the cashews if you prefer. If you have a nut allergy, sunflower seeds might be an option, but I have not tried them.
More Vegan Casserole RecipesPrint
- 30-ounce bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- (1) 12-ounce box Mori-Nu Extra Firm Silken Tofu
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F
- Dump the potatoes into a large mixing bowl with peppers and onion.
- Add all the cheese sauce ingredients to a blender and process until completely smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes, peppers, and onions. Use a large spoon or rubber spatula and stir until everything is mixed and well combined.
- Add the mixture to a 9×13 nonstick baking dish or line one with parchment paper. Place in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 50 mins. to 1 hour.
You can freeze the hashbrown casserole before baking it or after it has already been baked and cooled. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil the freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to cook simply thaw in the refrigerator before baking or reheating.
Try adding other veggies liked steamed broccoli, mushrooms, peas. It’s delicious.
- Prep Time: 5 mins.
- Cook Time: 60 mins.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 145.5 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan hash brown casserole, vegan breakfast casserole, hashbrown casserole