The best Vegan Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins! They’re easy to make, a little sweet with some heat, and wonderfully “cheesy.” These vegan cornbread muffins pair perfectly with your favorite chili or soup and bake up so tender and moist.
One of the things I remember most about my dad was his love for spicy foods. He would eat jalapeños right out of the jar like pickles. And, one of his favorite things to make was spicy cornbread muffins. He would use jalapeños, habaneros, ghost peppers, or any pepper he could find.
Needless to say, there were many batches only he would eat.
So, this recipe is in honor of my dad, Rusty, or “Pop”, as he was affectionately known. These Vegan Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins are for him…and you. Blessings.
Table of Contents
How To Make Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
This recipe was adapted from my Easy Vegan Cornbread. I had to make a few minor changes, but the results are savory, cheesy, and absolutely delicious! So, let’s preheat the oven to 375˚F and away we go.
- Make The Cheese Sauce: The cheese sauce is made with a simple blend of cashews that have been soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and a little salt. You simply blend everything together and set aside until you’re ready to add it to the batter.
- Mix The Dry Ingredients: Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk everything together. Then, set aside.
- The Wet Ingredients: A combination of aquafaba(chickpea juice), cashew cheese sauce, vegan buttermilk, and maple syrup is what makes these muffins so delicious and moist. Add them to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is “just mixed” together. Be sure not to overmix.
- Diced Jalapeños & Sweet Corn: I used pickled jalapeños and frozen sweet corn because of the convenience. But, you can use fresh jalapeños and corn if you wish. Fold them into the batter and get ready to bake.
- Bake: Line a muffin pan with large baking cups and add equal amounts of batter to each muffin hole. Bake for 20 minutes then check with a toothpick to see if they are done. I needed an extra couple of minutes so 22 minutes was my sweet spot. Let them cook for a few minutes then remove and enjoy!
That’s it! Delicious Vegan Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins that will satisfy anyone. And, no one would dare suspect they’re healthy and made without dairy and other animal products.
How To Serve Cornbread Muffins
Are you ready? It’s time to eat! Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve with this vegan jalapeño cheddar cornbread.
- Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili
- Easy Instant Pot Cabbage
- Instant Pot Vegan Chili
- Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- The Best Vegan Baked Beans
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Vegan Jackfruit Pulled Pork
Cornbread Muffin Questions & Suggestions
How To Store Leftovers?
Leftover cornbread muffins can be kept in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge or at room temperature.
Can I Freeze Vegan Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins?
Yes, wrap them individually and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Microwave to reheat.
Adjust Your Add-Ins
You can adjust the heat by adding or omitting the jalapeños. And, you can do the same with the corn as well.
Can I Make These Cornbread Muffins Gluten Free?
Can I Omit The Cheese Sauce?
Yes. But, you will have to make a few adjustments concerning the measurements. Follow the measurements from my Easy Vegan Cornbread Recipe and then bake as instructed in the recipe below.
You are going to love these Vegan Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins! They are:
- Savory and sweet with a little heat
- Tender and moist
- Easy to make
- SO Delicious!
These muffins are an excellent snack to enjoy with my Strawberry Chia Jam. It sounds weird, but it’s SOOOOO GOOD!
If you make this recipe I want to know. So, please leave a comment below with a star rating. And, be sure and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #shaneandsimple. I want to see your work. Enjoy!Print
Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 10 minutes in hot water)
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 ½ cup organic unbleached flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup Shane & Simple Vegan Buttermilk
- ⅓ cup aquafaba (chickpea juice)
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup frozen sweet corn (can sub fresh or canned)
- ¼ cup diced jalapeños
Make The Cheese Sauce
- Drain the cashews and add to your blender along with remaining cheese sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
To Make The Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and line a muffin tin with paper liners or use a nonstick muffin pan.
- To a large mixing bowl add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk everything together.
- Add the vegan buttermilk, aquafaba, cheddar cheese sauce, and maple syrup to the dry ingredients. Stir until everything is just mixed together. Don’t overmix. Then, fold in the corn and diced jalapeõs until well combined.
- Line a muffin pan with large baking cups and spoon equal amounts of batter into the muffin pan holes. Place in the oven and bake for 22 minutes. Use a toothpick or small knife to check for doneness. Simply insert and if it comes out clean the cornbread muffins are done.
- Let the muffins cool for a few minutes before removing. Enjoy!
Leftovers can be kept for up to 5 days in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge.
These muffins freeze well. Wrap them individually and store for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Cook Time: 22 mins.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 218.9 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.9 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan corn muffins, vegan cornbread, vegan cornbread muffins, jalapeño cheddar corn muffins