The best Vegan Baked Beans in the world are so easy to make and absolutely delicious. They’re the perfect blend of smoky, sweet, and tangy. A guaranteed favorite side dish at any gathering.
I know everyone says their recipe is the best. And, usually, I try not to do it. But, this is a special occasion, and this a special recipe. So, I feel pretty confident. Trust me, you will never again want to eat store-bought baked beans once you try this delicious and simple vegan baked beans recipe! And, you don’t have to wait for summer to enjoy them. They’re perfect any time of the year.
Some canned beans and very simple ingredients are all that’s needed to make this delicious dish. You can throw this recipe together in about 10 minutes. Then, you just leave it alone and let it cook for 90 minutes. The smell, taste, and texture is everything you remember about this amazing classic side. And, it’s healthy!
Ready? Let me show you!
How To Make Vegan Baked Beans
It’s so easy to make baked beans from scratch when you use canned beans. But, if you prefer using dried beans check out this article from Love & Lemons on how to cook dry beans. Just keep in mind the process will be much longer.
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Then, sauté the chopped onion for about 2 minutes or just until it’s soft. Toss in the chopped red and green bell peppers and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients for the sauce (molasses, maple syrup, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, low-sodium soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and mustard) and stir. Allow sauce to simmer for just a minute. This gives all the flavors a chance to meld.
- Drain and rinse the beans then spread them evenly in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Pour the sauce mixture over the beans and carefully stir until they are covered. Wrap the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour. Then, remove the foil and bake for 30 more minutes.
The sauce will get darker and thicker and should look similar to the photo down below. Beautiful, isn’t it?
I tend to like my baked beans dark and thick so I have cooked these for up to 2 hours before and they were still great. This is one of those recipes that’s kinda hard to mess up.
What Do I Serve With Vegan Baked Beans
Here are a few of my favorite suggestions…
- Easy Vegan Cornbread
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- The Best Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Coleslaw
- The Best Vegan Mac & Cheese
Great For Batch Cooking
This recipe is easily doubled and will keep for up to a week in the fridge. So, you can make ahead for any gatherings and simply reheat when you’re ready to enjoy. And, like any bean recipe, the flavors get better as it sits.
Can I Freeze Baked Beans?
Yes, absolutely! Be sure the beans are at room temperature then freeze them in one large container or separate containers for individual servings. When you’re ready to enjoy the beans place them in the fridge and defrost overnight. Then, simply warm them up in a pan on the stove or microwave. Just be sure they are hot before serving.
Are These Beans Gluten-Free?
The recipe as written is not gluten-free because the soy sauce contains wheat. But, all you have to do is replace the soy sauce with Tamari and just like that…GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN BAKED BEANS!
You are going to love these baked beans. They are…
- Sweet and a little salty
- So easy to make
- Absolutely Delicious!
The best Vegan Baked Beans in the world are so easy to make. Sweet, tangy, smoky, and absolutely delicious. A guaranteed favorite side dish at any gathering.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- Salt to taste (if necessary)
- (4) 15-ounce cans Great Northern Beans (low-sodium or no salt added), drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat and sauté chopped onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are soft. Toss in the chopped bell peppers, add the garlic powder and cook for about 1 minute.
- Pour in all the sauce ingredients (ketchup, molasses, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, vegan Worcestershire, soy sauce, liquid smoke, and mustard) and stir until everything is well combined. Let the sauce simmer for about a minute to allow all the flavors to meld together.
- Drain and rinse the canned beans then add them to a 9×13 baking dish. Pour the sauce mixture over the beans and gently stir until all the beans are covered.
- Wrap the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for 30 more minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan baked beans, baked beans vegetarian, vegan baked beans recipe, homemade vegetarian baked beans