This Vegetable Bouillon Powder is perfect for adding flavor to soups, stews, and other dishes. It’s easy, fast, low in sodium, and a great substitute for vegetable broth.
If you’ve been using those little vegetable bouillon cubes from the store it’s time to stop. They’re loaded with all kinds of crap that ain’t good for you. And, not to mention the sodium content – over 840mg for just ½ a cube! Why not just save yourself the trouble and drink the salt shaker?
But, there is a much better alternative. You can make your own vegetable bouillon powder. It’s healthier, fat-free, adds amazing flavor to your food, and super low in sodium. Less than 10-ingredients and 5 minutes are all you need. So, let’s get to it!
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make this vegan bouillon all you need are simple spices probably sitting in your pantry right now.
- Nutritional Yeast: Probably the only ingredient that would be considered unique if you’re just getting started on a WFPB diet. What is nutritional yeast? It’s a deactivated yeast that is super healthy and delivers big-time flavor. And, FYI, you can not sub any other yeast in its place.
- Onion Powder & Garlic Powder: savory additions.
- Italian Seasoning: I buy this premade. But, if you don’t have it simply add equal amounts of dried oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary.
- Poultry Seasoning: First, it’s completely vegan. What is poultry seasoning? It’s just a blend of spices dried, ground up, and mostly used to season poultry. However, most savory dishes contain this. But, no chickens are harmed in the making of this spice combination.
- Dried Parsely
- Dried Thyme
- Celery Salt or Celery Seed: Either one will work. If you are concerned about sodium use celery seed.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a spice that comes from the turmeric plant. And, is commonly used in Asian food. It has a warm, bitter taste and is used frequently for color in vegan cheese recipes. It’s also super healthy. Read this!
How To Make Vegetable Bouillon Powder
Making your own vegetable bouillon or vegan stock powder could not be easier. Let me show you.
Simply add all the ingredients to a glass jar, cover, and shake until everything is well combined. If you prefer, you can whisk everything together in a bowl and then transfer to an 8oz. Mason Jar.
That’s it! It’s perfect for seasoning soups, stews, chowders, and many other dishes.
How Do I Use Vegetable Bouillon Powder?
The most common way is in soups or making broth. Try adding it to these recipes for extra flavor.
Helpful Tips & Suggestions
This vegan bouillon can last for up to 2 years. Store in an airtight container in a dark place like your pantry.
Yes. It is completely optional.
Yes, absolutely! It’s an excellent substitute. Add 1 tablespoon of vegan bouillon to 1 cup of warm water. Use in any recipe that calls for vegetable broth.
If you prefer a powder simply blend in your food processor or blender until you get the consistency you desire. Keep in mind that blended spices are more concentrated in flavor. So, if you choose to make broth use 1 teaspoon of vegetable bouillon powder with 1 cup of warm water.
This vegetable bouillon recipe is very easily double or tripled. I love adding it to soup so I always have some on hand ready to go. It’s great to always have around for casseroles, veggies, and other savory dishes.
If you make this recipe I want to know. So, please leave a comment below with a star rating. And, be sure and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #shaneandsimple. I want to see your work. Enjoy!Print
This Vegetable Bouillon Powder is perfect for adding flavor to soups, stews, and other dishes. It’s easy, fast, and a great substitute for vegetable broth.
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon celery salt or 1 teaspoon. ground celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight jar.
Omit the salt completely if you wish.
Double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe as desired. It’s great to keep plenty on hand for adding to soups and casseroles.
You can store for up to 2 years. Keep in a clean and dry jar or container and store in a cool dark place, like your pantry.
Use as a substitute for veggie broth by combining 1 tablespoon of vegetable bouillon to 1 cup of warm water. If blending use 1 teaspoon of vegetable bouillon to 1 cup of warm water.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 23
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 44.8 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan bouillon, vegan chicken bouillon, better than bouillon, vegetable bouillon powder