Instant Pot Apple Butter is so easy to make and ready in less than an hour using 5 simple ingredients. A deliciously warm spread, flavoring, or filling. You will never again have to buy apple butter at the store! It’s vegan, healthy, and uses no refined sugar.
Nothing says “Fall” like warm biscuits topped with delicious homemade apple butter. Toss in a hot cup of coffee and it’s pretty much heaven on earth. Apple butter has long been one of my favorite spreads. And, I’m so excited to share this amazing, and healthy, recipe with you!
The process of making homemade apple butter is pretty involved, to say the least, and very time-consuming. Typically, it’s made on the stove or slow cooker and canning is almost always involved. But, thanks to the Instant Pot you can now make pressure cooker apple butter in a fraction of the time and it’s perfect!
Ready? Let me show you!
What Is Apple Butter
First, there is no butter in apple butter. It’s basically just spiced concentrated apple sauce. You simply cook the apple sauce until the sugar in the apples caramelizes. And, what you are left with is a sweet, buttery, and decadent spread.
Table of Contents
How To Make Instant Pot Apple Butter
Using the Instant Pot for this recipe drastically cuts down on the cooking time. It would take HOURS cooking this on the stove or in a slow cooker. But, with the Instant Pot, this pressure cooker apple butter recipe takes less than 30 minutes! Yes, 30 MINUTES!
- First, choose your apples. I prefer Gala, but feel free to use apples you would normally eat. Then, either core and cut them in quarters or simply cut around the edge then quarter. Be sure and leave the peels on the apple. The skin is very nutritious and aids in the thickening process. They also help to deepen the color as well.
- Now, all you have to do is toss everything into the Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, release the pressure, then use an immersion blender to blend the apples until they are smooth.
- Finally, you will use the “slow cooker” function for thickening the apple butter. Don’t worry it’s super easy. (Full instructions are down below in the recipe card)
How Do You Use Apple Butter
Put this Instant Apple Butter on a party tray and use for dipping crackers, fruit, pretzels, or anything else you desire. But, I love using it as a topping on these amazing recipes…
- Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
- Homemade Vegan Biscuits
- Oil-Free Granola
- Vegan French Toast Casserole
- Vegan Belgian Waffles
- How To Store? Instant Pot Apple Butter can be stored in a mason jar with a lid and kept in the fridge for about 3-4 weeks. You can store the apple butter safely in the freezer for several months, up to a year. Once it is thawed out, it should keep it in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
- Thickening: The longer you cook the apple butter the thicker it will get. And, since this recipe does not use refined sugar it will take a little longer. This recipe is best once it has a chance to set up in the fridge for several hours or overnight. You can enjoy it immediately after cooking, but it will be more like applesauce. But, hey, homemade applesauce ain’t bad either.
- Give It Away: Because it makes such a large batch it great to give away as a gift.
More Vegan Instant Pot RecipesPrint
- 5 pounds apples, cored and quartered
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup maple syrup (sweetener is optional but it will help in the thickening process)
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Wash and core the apples then place onto a cutting board, and cut into quarters with peels on. If you don’t want to core, simply cut around the core.
- Place the apples into the Instant Pot and add water, spice, maple syrup, and salt(optional). Close and lock the lid and set the valve vent to SEAL.
- Set the timer for 15 minutes and press START or MANUAL.
- When the timer is finished, let the pressure release naturally for about 15 minutes. Then, do a manual pressure release for any remaining steam. Remove the lid and stir in the lemon then use an immersion blender and blend until the apple mixture is completely smooth. At this point, the apple butter if fully cooked and ready for consumption but it would be more like applesauce. If you would like for it to thicken up continue through steps 5 & 6.
- Set the Instant Pot to the pressure cooker setting and use the +/- button to set it to “More”. If using a different pressure cooker with a slow cooker function or an actual slow cooker set the heat to low. Now, set your timer anywhere between 30 mins. up to 3 hours and cook uncovered stirring occasionally. This is what helps in the thickening process. You can enjoy it immediately after blending but it will be more like applesauce.
- Once it’s finished spoon the apple butter into glass jars with lids and enjoy!
The cooking time for the recipe represents the initial cooking process and not the slow cooker part. Simply because that is a matter of preference for most people. So, plan accordingly.
This recipe is NOT about canning. If you are interested be sure and check out a safe and reliable source like this one from the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
The longer you cook the apple butter the thicker it will get. And, since this recipe does not use refined sugar it will take a little longer. This recipe is best once it has a chance to set up in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
If you don’t have an immersion blender let the apple butter cool once it initially cooks, add to a regular blender in small batches, and blend until smooth. Place the apple butter back into the Instant Pot or slow cooker and proceed with step 5 in the cooking instructions.
This particular recipe makes about 2 pints.
- Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Cook Time: 30 mins.
- Category: Dips & Spreads
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
- Calories: 43
- Sugar: 8.8 g
- Sodium: 19.6 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.2 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: instant pot apple butter recipe, pressure cooker apple butter, pressure cooker apple butter recipe