This Easy Vegan Cream Cheese recipe is so simple to make and requires just 5 whole food ingredients. It’s savory, tangy, creamy, and insanely delicious!
I love breakfast foods, more specifically, savory breakfast foods. One of my favorites has always been a freshly toasted bagel slathered in cream cheese with just a hint of onion and garlic. But, after going vegan I resigned myself to the fact this would no longer be a part of my life. Sad day:(
I tried to fill the void with many different “plant-based” recipes, but most were just BLAH. And, once or twice, I even tried a few vegan options off the shelf. But, those were too expensive and usually contained oil. No Bueno. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.
But, no longer! Bring on the bagels, baby! Because this is the best vegan cream cheese recipe. It’s everything you could possibly want for your morning bread spread. Ready? Let’s roll! (see what I did there)
First things first. Is this exactly like real cream cheese? NO! Why? Because it’s not real cream cheese.
But, if you’re finding it hard to give up cheese and dairy and want something that’s rich, creamy, and “hip to the tang” for your bagel, this cashew cream cheese spread is it! It’s an excellent vegan cream cheese substitute for regular dairy cream cheese.
This recipe uses garlic powder and onion powder to make it savory. But, you can leave them out and make your own version. It’s very easily modified to fit your own taste. So, get creative!
What Ingredients Do I Need?
This homemade vegan cream cheese is made with whole-food ingredients. All you need is…
- 2 cups of raw cashews (soaked for 1-2 hours)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Lemon juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- A little salt
How To Make Vegan Cream Cheese?
Making this vegan cream cheese is so fast and easy. You’ll be “schmearing” in no time.
- Soak Your Cashews: This is the secret to getting a creamy consistency. I like to soak mine in warm water for about 30 minutes. But, 1-2 hours is optimal. Trust me. Soaking matters.
- Food Processor: Add all the ingredients to the food processor until it creates a smooth, creamy consistency. You will have to stop occasionally to scrape down the sides. But, that’s normal.
- Enjoy: You can serve right away or store in the fridge until you’re ready. But, you won’t wait.
That’s it! A delicious dairy free cream cheese guaranteed to make your bagels smile.
Can I Change The Flavors?
Yes, absolutely! Leave out the garlic and onion and try adding some blueberries or strawberries for a fruitier vegan cream cheese. We love to add a little maple syrup and cinnamon. It’s wonderful on toast.
But, you can leave out the flavoring altogether and just enjoy a plain cream cheese. There’s no wrong way.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Place any leftover vegan cream cheese in a jar with an airtight lid and store it in the fridge for up to a week.
You can store it in the freezer for a couple of months. Then, when you’re ready to enjoy it simply let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
More Vegan Cheese Recipes
Try these other vegan “cheesy” recipes to satisfy those urges and cravings in a much healthier way.
- Easy Vegan Cashew Queso
- Vegan Tofu Ricotta
- Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato & Kale Pasta
- The Best Vegan Mac & Cheese
- Plant-based Parmesan Cheese
I hope you enjoy this Easy Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe. It’s…
- Made with whole ingredients
- Absolutely delicious
If you make this recipe let me know about it. Please leave a comment below with a star rating. And, be sure and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #shaneandsimple. I want to see your work. Enjoy!Print
- Soak cashews in hot water for 30 minutes or room temperature water for at least 1-2 hours.
- Drain cashews and add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until fairly smooth and creamy and a spread is formed. Stop occassionally to scrape down the sides.
- Enjoy right away or store in a glass jar and let chill in the fridge until ready to consume.
This specific vegan cream cheese recipe is not good for cooking. It’s purely a spread.
I have found that food processor is best for this specific recipe. It allows the cream cheese to have a little more texture, yet still, be fairly smooth. If you choose to use a blender just be surea an add a little water as you go to help the process. A blender will give you a much smoother texture similar to mayo.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 2 mins.
- Category: Dips & Spreads
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
- Calories: 101
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 147.9 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cream cheese, vegan cream cheese recipe, cashew cream cheese, homemade vegan cream cheese, dairy free cream cheese
Save this recipe & PIN IT here!