Healthy broccoli cauliflower salad recipe that’s creamy and crunchy! Filled with red onion, apples, and carrots, and covered in a tangy-sweet cashew mayo dressing. Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free!
The night before Easter my aunt handed me a head of cauliflower and a bag of broccoli and said, “can you do something with this?” Not being one to back down from any challenge, I said, “sure.”
The result, with a few minor modifications, was this delicious and easy broccoli salad.
Honestly, I didn’t think anyone would touch it because once they hear the word “vegan” they avoid it like the plague. But, to my surprise, they scarfed down every last bit of this delicious salad.
This vegan broccoli cauliflower salad is perfect for any backyard barbecue! It’s a great side dish to bring to summer potlucks or gatherings. Sprinkle some of my vegan bacon bits on top and you’ve got one incredible main dish that’s light and healthy.
So, if you’re looking for a family-friendly salad that is easy to make and a great way to get someone to eat their vegetables then you will love this broccoli salad recipe.
Ready, let’s make it!
Healthy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Ingredients
- Broccoli: 4 cups raw broccoli florets cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Cauliflower: 4 cups cauliflower into bite-sized florets and then riced with a food processor.
- Red Onion: Great in raw recipes. Red onions work well in salads because of their vivid color, crunch, sweet, and spicy flavor.
- Apple: Adds a pleasant sweetness and crunchy texture. I prefer using Honeycrisp, gala, pink lady, or cosmic crisp because they’re firm and sweet.
- Carrots: Great texture and beautiful color.
- Creamy Dressing: this recipe uses my cashew mayo, red wine vinegar, and pure maple syrup. It’s the perfect balance of creamy, sweet, and tangy.
- Use chopped celery in place of the red onion if prefer a milder flavor. You’ll still get that crunch without the intenseness of the onion.
- My tofu mayonnaise, cashew sour cream, or tofu sour cream are great replacements for cashew mayo.
- If you don’t have a red wine vinegar apple cider vinegar works very well.
- Use agave or honey if you prefer. Keep in mind that honey is not considered vegan.
How To Make Vegan Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
This easy and healthy broccoli cauliflower salad is vegan but will be enjoyed by everyone. It’s packed with nutrients and comes together in just 10-15 minutes.
Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse chop until there are no bulky pieces. It should look like larger pieces of riced cauliflower. But, you don’t want to finely chop it.
Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and place them into a large bowl with the cauliflower.
Give everything a toss and mix it all together.
Next, add the red onion, apple, and carrots then toss again.
Make the dressing by whisking together the cashew mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and maple syrup until smooth. Pour the dressing over the broccoli cauliflower salad and stir until everything is completely coated.
Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. You could also add any extras like nuts, raisins, or seeds at this point.
Finally, place the broccoli cauliflower salad in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 30 minutes. You want the veggies to marinate in the dressing for a bit.
Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Be sure and cut the broccoli into small florets that are fairly similar in size. It makes it easier to eat and looks good too.
- I like to use pre-cut broccoli and cauliflower for this recipe because I’m lazy. It’s much quicker and more convenient.
- If you don’t have a food processor just be sure you cut the cauliflower floret into small pieces and cut off most of the stem.
- You can enjoy this broccoli salad right away but it’s best if it marinates for at least 30 minutes.
- Use raw broccoli and cauliflower. Frozen does not work well for this recipe.
- Fruit: add dried cranberries, raisins, or cherries.
- Nuts and Seeds: toss in some sliced almonds, chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds, cashews, or sunflower seeds.
Can You Make Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Ahead Of Time?
Yes! You can prepare this salad 24 hours in advance, place it in an airtight container, and store it in the refrigerator overnight.
Personally, I think it’s the best way to make it because the flavors have time to meld together in the marinade.
How Long Does Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Last?
You can store this broccoli cauliflower salad in an airtight container for up to three days in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze It?
Unfortunately, this recipe cannot be frozen. You want to enjoy it as close to fresh as possible.
More Healthy Vegan Salad RecipesPrint
Healthy broccoli cauliflower salad that’s creamy and crunchy! Filled with red onion, apples, and carrots, and covered in a tangy-sweet cashew mayo dressing. Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free!
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 cups broccoli florets cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup Creamy Cashew Mayo
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (can sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup julienned carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse four or five times and set aside. It should look like larger pieces of riced cauliflower. But, you don’t want to finely chop it.
- In a large mixing bowl add the cauliflower, broccoli, chopped red onion, and chopped apple. Toss until well combined.
- Combine the cashew mayo, red wine vinegar, and maple syrup then whisk until smooth. Pour over the broccoli cauliflower mixture and lightly toss to coat. At this point toss in any optional add-ins, season with salt and pepper if needed, and lightly stir.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes giving the veggies time to marinate in the dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Be sure and cut the broccoli into small florets that are fairly similar in size. It makes it easier to eat and looks good too.
I like to use pre-cut broccoli and cauliflower for this recipe because I’m lazy. It’s much quicker and more convenient.
If you don’t have a food processor just be sure you cut the cauliflower floret into small pieces and cut off most of the stem.
You can enjoy this broccoli salad right away but it’s best if it marinates for at least 30 minutes.
Use raw broccoli and cauliflower. Frozen does not work well for this recipe.
- Serving Size: ⅛ of recipe
- Calories: 118
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 129.2 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Vegan broccoli cauliflower salad, healthy salad recipes, vegan salad recipes, easy vegan salad recipes