This overnight Vegan French Toast Casserole recipe is absolutely amazing! Crusty bread covered in a delicious custard and baked to perfection. Topped with a drizzle of homemade cashew coconut cream icing and warm maple syrup. Brunch will never be the same.
French Toast Casserole
- 1 16-ounce day old whole-grain, sourdough, or french loaf of bread sliced and cut into 1 inch squares. DO NOT use regular loaf bread. It needs to be a hearty, crusty loaf. These are usually found in the bakery section of your local grocery store.
- 1 12-ounce box of firm or extra firm Mori-Nu silken tofu
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (regular is fine)
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch (powder) or cornstarch
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Crunchy Walnut Topping
- 1/2 cup almond flour or whole wheat flour (almond works best)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut or pecans
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Cashew Coconut Cream Icing
- Slice and then cut the bread into 1 inch cubes. Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper and add the bread. You can also use a nonstick baking dish, silicone baking dish, or use a very small amount of cooking spray on regular baking dish if you have none of the above.
- Add the silken tofu, almond milk, arrowroot starch, maple syrup, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to a blender. Blend until everything is completely smooth. Then, pour liquid over the bread.
- Use a wooden spoon or your hands to press the bread down into the liquid until the bread is covered (hands are best). Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight (8-12 hours). You can skip this step but I would not recommend it. It’s still delicious but the texture is very wet and doesn’t bake as well.
- Once you’re ready to bake remove the casserole from the fridge and preheat the oven to 350˚F. While the oven is heating make the crunchy topping if using.
- To make the crunchy topping: Combine the flour, maple syrup, cinnamon, and walnuts in a small bowl and mix until everything is combined. You may have to use your fingers because it will be somewhat “dry” and “clumpy.” Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole. It’s not meant to completely cover the entire dish. Just to add some crunch here and there.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes to 1 hour. You want it to brown on top and to cooked throughout.
- Cashew Coconut Cream Icing: While the casserole bakes go ahead and prepare the Cashew Coconut Cream Icing if using. Add all the ingredients to a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Place in the fridge until the casserole is finished. Remember to drain the cashews before adding them to the blender.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, drizzle with the the icing and serve immediately.
- Suggested toppings: Pure maple syrup, bananas, blueberries, or dried cranberries.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan french toast casserole, french toast casserole, holiday, Christmas, vegan, plant-based, breakfast