This Vegan Frittata is easy to make, absolutely delicious, and so close to the real thing. A savory egg-free frittata recipe that’s healthy, gluten-free, and low in fat. Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
If you have yet to find a vegan egg recipe that satisfies your soul that’s all about to change. This is the best vegan frittata recipe. It’s savory, healthy, filling, and so close to the real thing it’s scary. It’s also incredibly easy to make.
Although it’s normally served for breakfast or brunch it’s great for lunch and dinner as well. Serve this with my cashew sour cream and a sprinkle of vegan parmesan for a meal that will satisfy the pickiest of eaters.
Vegan Frittata Ingredients
Tofu is the base of this recipe and is an excellent egg substitute. It’s blended with savory spices to create the “egg” filling. Healthy sautéed vegetables are then combined with the mixture and baked to perfection to create the best vegan frittata.
Here’s a list of some simple ingredients you are going to need:
- Firm or Extra Firm Tofu: I prefer non-silken tofu for this recipe. It’s thicker and tends to bake better, IMO.
- Tapioca Flour: You can sub arrowroot flour or cornstarch.
- Spices: Nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, and turmeric is an excellent combination of vegan egg dishes.
- Black Salt: This is a kiln-fired rock salt used in South Asia and has a pretty sulphuric pungent-smell. It is also known as “Himalayan black salt” and when added to certain dishes creates an amazing “egg” flavor. A little goes a long way!
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: use whatever you prefer
- Veggies: Onions, mushrooms, spinach are my personal favorites for this dish. But, a frittata is an excellent way to use any leftover veggies you may have just sitting in the fridge. So, get creative.
- Grape Tomatoes & Red Onion: I primarily used these for decoration, but they add an extra layer of flavor that’s so delicious.
How To Make Vegan Frittata
Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Place the tofu, spices, and almond milk into a food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to a preheated oven-safe skillet and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften. Then, toss in bell pepper and cook for a few seconds. Now, add the spinach and cook until it just starts to wilt.
- Pour in the tofu mixture and fold into the veggies and smooth.
- Top with the sliced grape tomatoes, sliced red onion, and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 10-15 minutes.
And, THAT’S IT! The ultimate VEGAN FRITTATA! Perfect for breakfast, lunch, and even dinner. It also an excellent holiday brunch for Christmas and Easter.
- Oil-Free Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Tofu Bacon
- Vegan Breakfast Sausage
- The Best Vegan Homemade Biscuits
- Cheesy Vegan Grits
How To Store
- Refrigerator: Cover and place in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: This vegan frittata does amazingly well in the freezer. You can store it for 3 months in a freezer-safe container. When you’re ready to enjoy simply pop it in a 350˚F oven for 10 minutes or so. You can also microwave it if you like, but that’s not my favorite way of heating it up.
Want More Vegan Breakfast Recipes?Print
Vegan Frittata is easy to make, absolutely delicious, and so close to the real thing. This savory egg-free frittata recipe is healthy, gluten-free, and low in fat. Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
- (1) 14-ounce box of firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon tapioca starch (you may also arrowroot flour or corn starch)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon. onion powder
- 1 teaspoon. garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon. turmeric
- ½ teaspoon. black salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 oz. sliced baby mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups (loosely packed) spinach, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add tofu, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, black salt, and unsweetened almond milk to a food processor and blend until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook the onions and mushrooms until soft. Usually just 1-2 minutes. Toss in the red bell pepper and cook for 30-45 seconds. Finally, add the chopped spinach and cook until it starts to wilt.
- Pour the tofu mixture directly into the pan with the veggies if you are using a cast-iron or oven-safe skillet. Gently stir to combine everything and smooth out the top. If you do not have an oven-safe skillet simply combine the tofu mixture and sautéed veggies then pour into a 9-inch pie dish or regular casserole dish.
- Top with sliced red onions and grape tomatoes then bake for 40-45 minutes. The top should brown just slightly and turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
This is a great meal-prep recipe. Simply prepare the dish as instructed up until baking. Then, cover and store in the fridge until you are ready to bake it.
Keep leftover covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store in the freezer for 3 months in a freezer-safe container.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 81
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 272.6 mg
- Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan frittata, eggless frittata